Thursday 17 August 2017

OUR ROOTS ARE SHOWING!

Before you read another word, I must tell you that this post has absolutely nothing to do with St Patrick! However, it does have much to do with our roots, our Newfoundland heritage, and our way of speaking.  

A couple of days ago I was reading a book and I came across an amusing little anecdote that really delighted me.  As St Catherine of Alexandria is the Saint involved perhaps I should wait until 25th November, St Catherine's Day,  to post it.  No, I can't wait.  I think it is so cute I want to share it with you right away.  

Among other things, St Catherine is the Patron Saint of unmarried girls.  This little anecdote that I came across told of the young girls of Milton Abbas in Dorset who used to chant this little prayer to St Catherine.
"St Catherine, St Catherine, O lend me thine aid, 
and grant that I never may die an old maid.
A husband, St Catherine, a good one, 
St Catherine,
But arn-a-one better than narn-a-one, 
St Catherine.
Sweet St Catherine, a husband St Catherine,
Handsome St Catherine, rich, St Catherine,
Soon, St Catherine."

I don't suppose this verse would be considered politically correct today but it was the 'arn' and 'narn' that jumped out at me when I read it. We all learned in school that Newfoundland's first settlers were mainly people from Ireland and the West Country of England.  The West Country includes Dorset. I was just pleased to find such an unexpected confirmation of our Dorset roots and, if you haven't already heard this verse, I hope you will enjoy it now.
Dorset, where some of our forebears hailed from

2 comments:

  1. You are right, I did enjoy it!!! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teri
      When I saw it I could hardly believe what I was reading. Anyway, I thought it was cute & I am glad you enjoyed it too. Good luck for tomorrow. Don't forget to let us know how it goes.

      Delete